SailNet Community - View Single Post - Honda Gen won't charge
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009

windward54 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
That's peculiar my inverter/charger is 100amps and the Honda will charge at about 90 amps. EU2000i. Maybe you've got your hot water heater on!
The system I have is a Xantrex Freedom 3000 which will crank out 140 amps DC when charging, using about 28 amps AC. I have to set the powershare feature, which allows the unit to sense the demand on the system and not overload the incoming AC current even at the dock, as I only have 30 amps coming into the boat when docked. The Honda EU2000 is rated for only 16.67 amps AC out. Large chargers will overload the Honda Generator. Fortunately, the Xantrex can be set at a low input rate and keeps the demand on the Honda Generator from causing it to overload. I've found that the 20 amp input setting works for me.

The new Honda generators have a 30 amp hook-up, but does not give out 30 AC amps. The only way to get 30 amps and use my charger to the full capacity would be to buy a second generator and an interconnect kit. One generator makes enough noise for me!

Last edited by windward54; 07-20-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook