SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gluten Free and Cruising
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Maize, rice, sorghum, millet, oats, buckwheat, fonio, quinoa, and lots of other grains including amaranth, assorted grains mostly grown and used in Africa, and others, can all be purchased in bulk and stored for extended periods of times. So long as you don't mind eating unleavened bread instead of yeast rolls and loafs there is absolutely nothing wrong with using those other grains instead of wheat. I don't know anything about Celiac disease, so it may be that those other grains are not allowed either, but I doubt that they have any (or much) gluten in them because that is why you can't use them to bake a leavened bread, they won't rise. Bulk grains are terrific, they store well for extended periods of time and then when you need them you just grind them into flour and use them for whatever you want.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 07-20-2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook