SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which Laptops Has Survived Life Onboard?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
I wish I haD READ this thread a few days ago. I had taken my new to me FReedom 33 out for it's second sail, first single handed. I live aboard now for the past month and have had alot to do to make it home. I had been keeping my SONY VAIO PCG GRT-280zg on the nav table. Well, with all the things I had to remember and deal with on my first single handed sail on this new boat. (My old Contest 29 was a very different animal) I had forgotten about the computer sitting on the Nav table. I remembered it after a big gust of wind heeled me well over and I heard this load crash from down below.....now what could that have been?...Oh No, no Oh crap..yea, the laptaap flew across the cabin and hit the sole in front of the galley stove. Luckily, I had a small throw carpet in front of it and believe it or not I think that saved it. With baited breath I tried switching it on.( it had been running before the flop but the crash landing managed to shut it down) Well low and behold...it responded...phew, could believe how fortunate I am. I always thought this VAIO was rather delicate and would not take much to trash it and have pieces of the keyboard fly out all ovwer the place and have huge cracks in the case etc. but not a scratch can be found. The next time I went out I made sure to put it in side the nav table and it was fine but I am looking into strapping it down with velcro or tie doens as suggested by SD and Bosun. It was good to read all this info on computers and yachts as I had not thought much about it and can see that I will need to take more precautions as far as back ups, security etc and also be prepared for replacing mine when the inevitable happens. I will probably look into one of those small acer type units or explore what is currently available as I have not looked into them much since getting my vaio quite a few years ago now..wow how time flies!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook