SailNet Community - View Single Post - Twin Keel sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
It's not all negatives. A boat with twin keels isn't that tender. As mallo posted, when you touch by mistake after releasing the sheets you draw less, freeing the boat to float off while when you free sheets on a single keel boat you suddenly draw more and are more likely to stay aground. There are hundreds if not thousands of twin keel sailboats in the U.K. as well as around the world. Below are two diagrams showing two points going for twin keel boats. The picture is a boat I used to own that sailed Victoria to Mexico and back and Victoria to New Zealand and back. Also google "Bluebird of Thorne" to learn more about twin keel design and theory. Bluebird was a 50 footer designed for Lord Riverdale by the esteemed Arthur Robb in the fifties and she met her design goal and was sailed across oceans extensively. I believe she is still sailing somewhere. With respect to Jeff, while not in the category of a Farr, I think they are as good or better than many old shoes touted as "ideal". The Centaur is one of the most popular boats in the U.K. in its size for that era. The Westerly I owned was built in 1967 and I am still impressed at its construction. Different strokes for different folks. How boring if all boats were the same.
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twin_keel1.jpg (29.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg twin_keel2.jpg (36.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg marimba2.jpg (26.1 KB, 109 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook