SailNet Community - View Single Post - Twin Keel sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Mallo
My first was a westerly 25. The second was 35' long, a custom design with the hull and deck built by Bent Jesperson in Sidney B.C. and the interior was finished by Mike Betts. Michael McGrath was the designer. Actually designed by Michael for himself, a friend talked him into letting him build to the design. The construction was strip plank western red cedar with glass over. the keels were steel with ballast in the lower portion and tankage above. I was the second owner. The original owner sailed to Mexico and back. I sailed her locally only. The designer purchased her from me in 1995 and did an extensive refit which included adding twin rudders while keeping the central rudder for powering. He subsequently sailed to New Zealand and back from Victoria. In my experience, while a twin keel boat is probably a bit slower because of the drag issue, I don't find them tender. They are not a state of the art racer but then a great many cruisers are not either. Michael and Jane DeRidder from B.C. built a flush deck 40' twin keel boat in the 60's and sailed her extensively in the Pacific and are now in New Zealand. They post regularly on setsail.com (the Dashew's site). Here's a link to the listing for Marimba2 as she is now listed for sale. Michael redid the whole exterior but for the most part kept the same interior as I had with the exception of changing the u-shaped settee port side to a straight settee with pilot berth above and outboard. She is a very interesting boat and has more adventures ahead of her. Vela Yacht Sales (Victoria, BC)
Brian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook