SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any happy or unhappy tartan 30 owners
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009

ramminjammin is on a distinguished road
Is it a coiencidence that when i saw the 19 kt, i just happened to be sliding down a 30 foot swell towing a dingy that was on plane and threatening to take out the stern.
I always thought you could take gps speedo readings to the bank
anyway , the mystery continues, also the 19 and 21 were recorded on the gps i borrowed from the guy who sold me the boat, a different one.
The reading of 19, I recall , i was actually loking at the gps screen continuous speed readout and not the readout where it records the max speed hit. I was sliding down the face of the wave thinking, " this has to be close to that 21 it recorded earlier" , and seeing 19 on the screen.I am wondering if any other coastal sailors have experienced the same type of numbers ?
This Tartan is a competition model , designed and fitted out for Marblehaed racing
I am not sure what is going on , we were in fantastic sailing conditions , mostly steady 20 knots of wind , then some higher gusts. We were crusing at 8 knots on the flat so i dont think it is too unrealistic to pick up 7 more coming down a swell in a gust of 20 knots ?

I hope we hit those speeds for real !

the avg speed for the trip , includes motoring out of the LaHave River and then out to the coast, also motoring through the Halifax harbor to Bedford
I was seeing a steady speed of 8 knots on the screen under the small spinaker ! so as i said before put in a gust and sliding down a swell ?

i'll make sure i turn on my back up gps next time

Last edited by ramminjammin; 07-22-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook