SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cuttyhunk and Montauk
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Just back from our trip. we were on Cuttyhunk a week ago Monday. (Montauk-Defender store in CT-Block-Cuttyhunk-Martha's Vinyard-Block-Montauk) Cuttyhunk was a lot of fun and easily explored by walking. The fuel dock has water. I understand it's well water that tastes excellent. Note that you can't fuel or get water there when the ferry is approaching of there. And it's also where the locals jump into the water for a swim -- jumped a couple of times myself. There's a sign that says "no swimming when the ferry is present".

Plenty of room that I saw. Every mooring didn't get taken. It's first-come, first-served, so if you are worried, leave early to arrive early.

There is one store of about 200 square feet in size. It was a pricy, but considering they have to ferry everything in and manually unload at the dock (no car ferry), it's probably about right. There's ice cream and lobsters for sale right next to the dinghy dock. They sell the lobsters (cooked or uncooked) in the afternoon, because they are out getting them in the morning. It's a lovely island that some of my kids wanted to explore for a week.

Take you dinghy to the west side of the harbor and over the small dune to see the sun set. Also, the hike to the highest point is a good walk, with a 360 degree view.

Joesaila - next time we'll have to
Hey there Brad! How did you end up making out with the tranny? I see you got back to Montauk.

We're in Mystic at the moment, and plan to stay here tonight and tomorrow night. Had a heck of a ride from Newport this morning. Going around point Judith was like sailing through a washing machine, as always. Anyway, from here we're heading west on Friday, either to Westbrook, Branford or someplace like that. And then home on Saturday. It was great to meet you in person, and we'll have to try to hook up again sometime, only next time we'll have to actually spend some time together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook