SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cuttyhunk and Montauk
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
Hey there Brad! How did you end up making out with the tranny? I see you got back to Montauk.

We're in Mystic at the moment, and plan to stay here tonight and tomorrow night. Had a heck of a ride from Newport this morning. Going around point Judith was like sailing through a washing machine, as always. Anyway, from here we're heading west on Friday, either to Westbrook, Branford or someplace like that. And then home on Saturday. It was great to meet you in person, and we'll have to try to hook up again sometime, only next time we'll have to actually spend some time together!
Daniel,

It was not the transmission after all. The prop had fallenoff. Brewers serviced it for me and put it back on 2 weeks earlier. $1800 roughly after finding one and having it reworked for a 40 mm shaft, and with the nut and zinc and overnight shipping. I had to really work for a day or two to find a prop and get all the parts in quickly. Good news is the Brewers says they'll pay. I'm calling for the receipts tomorrow and will send them in to Brewers. Beneteau showed their worth again, helping me out on short notice, looking around for a prop. But in the end, the Maritime Institute Instructor we met at the gas dock pointed us to Falmount Marine who then pointed us to New England Propellers.

We did MVI to BLock in a SCA, 14 hours tacking into the wind, motor assisted. It was too rought to go directly into the wind wiht the wife and kids. The dink spilled a couple life jackets, so we did man overboard practice. best thing was the old couples we saw in smaller boats, tooling along -- some flying spinnakers in that wind. Amazing. One couple had a ketch with this spinnaker-looking think on the mizzen that went out and also across the cabin top.

Then the next day, hardly any wind at all. Motored from Block to Montauk right above idle, played Parcheesi in the cockpit all the way there. At one point I had to let some of the main and jib sheets out to prevent heeling so the piece wouldn't fall over. What a difference between the two days.

Party Tuesday night for the denaming and renaming ceremonies. Lots of fun.

You have a great group there, it was a blast to cram onto one nice boat and socialize like that. PLease keep us in mind for the upcoming events.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook