SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hull Characteristics that affect Seakindliness/Seaworthiness
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Even though I largely agree with what has been said, I also own an IOR-influenced old racer and a steel full keeler that looks like a hard-chined Land Rover.

So, as Joni Mitchell noted, "I've seen the world from both sides now".

Perhaps counter-intuitively, I would choose either the Wauquiez 33 (I prefer, with the late Hal Roth, the 35 a little more for cruising) or the PSC 34 (I prefer the much more expensive 37, largely for space reasons). Even though they have the largest "numbers" spread vis-a-vis each other, both models have solid cruiser reputations. I would rather sail in the Wauquiez for the 98% of the time it isn't heavy weather, but I would prefer to heave to in the PSC, because it's probably easier on the nerves. I also think that the PSC would track and self-tend to a windvane and a proper sail set better and you could carry more cruiser crap in it.

The Wauquiez, on the other hand, is of the last generation of primarily tiller-steered boats (which I prefer up to 35 feet) and has a really nice cockpit. So considerations of crew size and functionality come into play.

Your voyage, your call. I think if they pass survey, both are viable small liveaboards...but they are, by modern standards, pretty compact boats.