SailNet Community - View Single Post - Florida to New York
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009

Volkhard is on a distinguished road
Florida to North Carolina

While I can't comment on the entire trip I just sailed from Stuart, FL to Beaufort, NC in May as part of a 3 leg relocation trip from Tampa Bay, FL to Annapolis, MD.
I did the trip with 3 friends and it took us less than 3.5 days until we reached Oriental, NC. It has been a very nice trip, propelled by southerly winds and the Gulf stream adding up to 2kts to our speed. Often downwind with the Jib boomed out and going wing on wing (no chute on board).

We stayed up to 150 miles east of the coast what was a mistake. Doing the trip for the first time I mis-judged the Gulf stream and should have stayed a little bit closer to shore for optimal performance I guess we "lost" about half a day but we are cruiser and no racer and just had fun.

Of course weather needs to be favorable and we were lucky in that regard.
I opted not go try Cape Hatteras but stayed in the ditch to go to the Chesapeake when I did the RD leg in June. The lower Chesapeake had actually the worst conditions for us with multiple heavy thunderstorms and the wind piping up to about kits. Boat and crew came through unblemished and I am enjoying my weekend sails in Annapolis for now.

Good luck with your trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Florida Sailor

ODYSSEY
Island Packet 37 (hull53)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook