SailNet Community - View Single Post - mast shims fell out Tartan 30
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009

ramminjammin is on a distinguished road
mast shims fell out Tartan 30

On the mast of my Tartan 30The teak mast shims fell out , there are about 8 of them between the mast and the deck hole (mast partner).

Are these the proper items for supporting the mast ?
One comment i found interesting in my search was "The shims are there to hold the mast reasonably straight until all the rigging is in place and properly tuned. Nothing more."

so i am wondering if placing any material at all between the partner and the mast might be the wrong thing to do and cause unwanted contact at that area. Is there supposed to be a support function there ?

I've searched on here and seen good comments for a product spartite, also one thread that suggested using nylon rope and silicone; but the instructions were to use three strands or more .

On my mast partner it is only about 3/4 inch of actual contact area at the top of the partner , then it starts to widen as it is a cone shaped and about 8 inches tall off the deck. So three strands would have the bottom two down into the hole supporting nothing and only the top strand in contact with the partner.

thanks for any help

Last edited by ramminjammin; 07-24-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook