SailNet Community - View Single Post - Doesn't Anyone Start on Small Boats Anymore?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I bought a hunter 23 that was a great boat... sold it 11 months later! I did regret buying smaller. I listened to the choir saying "smaller is better" I knew then that I wanted a boat which had the space for walking around in the cabin, cooking, washing, sleeping etc. but I settled for smaller because I ignored my feelings.

So, I don't agree that smaller is always right for newbies. I do agree that newbies need to be very sure they want a boat and will not loose interest almost as soon as they get one.

I often cite the hypothetical couple that loves sailboats, go to a broker buy a new $300K boat. get a few pointers from the broker, then go sail on a nice afternoon. They get caught in a squall, panic,survive the "trial" and never go on the boat again! (it has happened too) broker gets another commission when selling the "used" boat!

I have a great time single handing my O30 but I know my limitations too. Truthfully I don't think I'll ever miss the tiller,outboard, boat.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook