SailNet Community - View Single Post - Choosing a small liveaboard bluewater cruiser
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009

ramminjammin is on a distinguished road
I have owned a Tartan 30 tall rig for 2 years
I would sail this boat anywhere , although I don't really know much about it. For the coast in 20 knots and swells 10 to 30 feet she does well. If you get caught in the wrong time and place it won't matter what your are in !
For coast crusing you can always get in out of harms way and speed is a help there
The cabin is quite small compared to a 35 foot boat, a Hughes 35, Tartan 34 is quite spaceous in comparison
Heat is going to be a problem in the winter, I installed a propane furnace and after Oct it cant produce enough heat and the winter here in Nova Scotia is milder than TO.

My boat is very solid for her age, the rig seems strong. The rudder needs replacing or rebuilding, it lasted 34 years ! I would guess that the amount of resin/fiberglass used back in the 70's is way more than what they use at present. If it is a solid hull and deck you have a great platform to build on with a Tartan 30, and you can pick up a good one in the $12,000 range.
It's funny when you read about boat depreciation, they sold a 1975 Tartan 30 for 12 k in 1975, 1985, 1995, and 2005

Last edited by ramminjammin; 07-24-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook