SailNet Community - View Single Post - Code Zero configuration
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009

CodeZero is on a distinguished road
Code Zero configuration

I am preparing to reassemble my boat after someone else decomissioned it; it has a code zero as the staysail on furling - with a staysail boom. The haylard is static mounted just above where the staysail forstay would be attached the mast near the top - when the sail is down the haylard runs down to a free standing sheeave attached to the staysail head and then runs back upand enters the mast just below where the staysail forstay would be attached. It then runs internaly down the mast and out near the base to a winch.

In other words - near the top of the mast there are three attachments about 6 inches appart - first is the static end of the Staysail haylard, then where the staysail forstay would attach and below that a sheave box which runs the bitter end down the mast. On the fordeck there is one padeye forward of the staysail boom assembley - not two.

So when the Code Zero is ready to be raised it's a double purchase as it's raised. The sheave is integrated into a swivel with a rectangular "cage" which looks like a inner forstay would run through it to not allow the entire sheave to rotate. There is no innner forstay that came with the boat and the reading and pictures I have seen only have a swivel at the top. From what I see a inner forstay is required as a guide only, am I on the right track? Would it be better to attach a swivel only at the top and do away with the forstay completly? The sail is not a genaker or other - it's just a dacron staysail.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook