SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying wheel pilot need some advice
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009

irwin325cc is on a distinguished road
Buying wheel pilot need some advice

I've read the posts on the Raymarine and X-5s. Not much info I could find here except on the install(which was very helpfull) but I'm about to buy a wheelpilot due to costs of going with below deck units and that I single-hand most of the time, I need some type of self steer unit. I mostly sail coastal usualy but plan to go Bahamas/Carribean in the next two years. I am thinking about going with a windvain or maybe up grading to a stronger unit before then. I've looked into Simrad units but it looks like they may have discontinued the WP30. I can't seem to find any dealers that arn't "sold out".
So heres the big question. Is there any other brands that I should consider within the price range of $1500.00 or less. What quality if so. Whats up with/where can I find some price and availability with the Simrad wheel pilot?
I'm 90% sure that I'm going to go with the X-5 but don't want to do the look back and say.
By the way my boat is an Irwin 32.5 Center cockpit sloop, with 13,000Lbs displacement. Normally sail 110% headsail and main.
Matt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook