SailNet Community - View Single Post - mast shims fell out Tartan 30
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Knotty...the rope method wont work on this boat...but it worked like a CHARM on two of mine and has the advantages of equal pressure with a bit of give all around the mast...i.e. no hard spots...and it is a great way to waterproof the partners at very low cost.
BTW...this was taught to me by a rigging professional who found it being done in the Caribe and adopted it.
I've seen it done, and have even tried it. But it can be messy and depending on the line diameter and construction, results can be mixed. It's kind of like caulking a plank. As long a the gap around the mast is pretty constant, it would probably work alright. Usually though, there is quite a variation between the sides and the front and back.

The main point though is that there must be something there.
I remember one spar that was cut clean through nearly 50% of the circumference of the mast where it had been working against the fiberglass deck.
I don't know where this idea that the wedges are not needed once the rigging is set up came from. But it's not accurate at all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook