SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 42 vs 400 MK II (new)
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009

captron400 is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the delay getting back to this. I don't normally follow this forum anymore. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, well - here are two during a match race between my 400 and a dealer crewed 470 (all good sailors) outside of Annapolis in 1997 or 1998. The bet was that I'd buy this 470 (hull #1) from the dealer IF he could beat me. Wasn't even close, and that was in 20 to 25 knots of wind where the bigger 470 should have an advantage. At the finish he must have been a mile behind me. I pulled ahead on every point of sail, but totally finished him off beating back up the Severn River. Reason - he was rounding up and fighting the helm. Eventually had to reef (and then double reef) to control the boat. Neither boat had a furling main so it was a fair contest (sort of). The factory was well aware of this outcome (they even called me) and I believe that they revised the boat a drop because of it.

Over 12 years, I had run into maybe a half dozen 470's with Good Vibrations and every one was the same result. After sailing a few, I do not believe that it has a balanced sail plan. Main is too big and center of effort appears to be behind the keel, probably because they moved the mast and compression post forward to hide it in a bulkhead. More waterline won't help that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C470-2.jpg (86.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg c470-3.jpg (63.3 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by captron400; 07-26-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook