SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do I need this boom vang?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
You probably should keep the Vang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHopeBay View Post
Is the boom vang redundant if I have a boom sheet traveler that attaches to the boom just forward of the vang? The gooseneck is firmly held in place with a down haul line and a boom stop. The only thing I do with the vang now is release it to get out of the way to put the cabin top up and then take the slack out when I put the top down.

I want to get it off if it's not needed or I want to use it if it's going to give me better performance.
Mike
Mike,
the vang and the traveler system control two different aspects of the sail trim. The traveler controls the horizontal angle of the boom relative to the centerline of the boat while the vang controls the vertical angle of the boom relative to the mast.
When running, you'll probably need to let your boom go almost 90 degrees to the centerline which will give you little control over the vertical angle no matter how you set the blocks on the traveler. To keep the free end of the boom down you'll need the vang whether in light air or heavy. In light air the vang will also lessen the bouncing of your boom which spills what wind you have and slows your boat.
I'd keep the vang

Last edited by bloodhunter; 07-27-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook