SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delmarva Circumnavigation and the Inside Passage
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by badsanta View Post
I dont understand the " sometimes inside and sometimes outside" are you talking about the Delmarva circumnavigation? or just getting around Chincoteague. I always thought the Delmarva circumnavigation was up or down the Chesapeake bay into the Atlantic and around Maryland and Virgina through the Delaware canal and back? Is this something different or am I confusing terminology?
Santa,

There is an "Inside Passage" for the Atlantic portion of the DelMarVa circumnavigation. It is actually an alternative route for the Intracoastal Waterway, which allows boats to bypass the Chesapeake and proceed straight up to Delaware Bay in protected waters along the east coast of the DelMarVa peninsula. Barrier beaches provide the protection, and the route wends its way through rivers and marshes, and across some inlet mouths.

The glitch is that it has many shallow spots (<4'), and charting is not perfectly reliable with shifting shoals etc, and there are some low bridges (mostly near the north end, but also a 40-footer at Cape Charles). So it is usually skipped by typical cruising sailboats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook