SailNet Community - View Single Post - Code Zero configuration
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009

CodeZero is on a distinguished road
Yes - I beleive it is a non-standerd config from the reading I have done.. Typically it is used for a Genaker or other light sail. This setup from what I now understand allows the boat to better point into the wind since you can pull it in closer than of you were using sheets outside the shrouds. You would furl the Genoa and use the code zero only (and main/mizzen) when running upwind. The vessel is a 1980 48' Soverel, Hull #11.

I have researched this further and was able to view some photos of other Soverel 48's - this is a owner configuration; the Code Zero haylard's static end now appears to be attached to the former inner forstay mount on the mast. They may have run the bitter end through the swivel/block/rectangular cage to guid it up with the double purchase - this is difficult to explain as I sail and work on the boat alone and my sailing terms are not as strong as they could be.

I beleive what I will end up doing is attaching another mast chainplate for a inner stay just above the old inner stay mast chain plate and keep the code zero the way it is. On the deck side there is a 14" track where the inner forstay attached and a padeye that was added for the code zero just forward of the track.

Any information or suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,

BDM
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook