SailNet Community - View Single Post - C400 Association and List
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by captron400 View Post
Brian, et. al. -

I had posted similar notes 4 or 5 days ago about using a single forum on both sites - on both Yahoo and Sailnet. I got about 10 returns from the Yahoo one, absolutely nothing here. Note that ALL of the Yahoo messages were opposed to moving to Sailnet - primarily because you have to login here to see what's happening. If anyone is still here they should try out yahoo because that's where most of the owners are - about 40 as I recall, with maybe 35 to 40 messages a week being passed back and forth.

The goal should be to develop something under the control of the Association, tailered to the boat - with both public and member areas, etc., and linked to the website if that still exists.

My only goal is to bring back what seems to be a dying C400 Association. I spent thousands of hours doing this and it would be a shame to see it fall totally apart.

Ron Marcuse
former Commodore - 1996 to 2005
First of all, I too would love to see the association pick up. I will help do what I can.

Regarding posting here versus Yahoo - the reason that you get the responses there versus here is that there are so many more people already there. That does not make it the best place for it to be though. I will venture to say that MANY of the questions (if not most) that are posted for a Catalina 400 are relevant for almost any and every boat. We all use the same systems. I agree, the 400 has many boat specific questions, but many are not. As such, by being on an open forum with thousands of Non-C400 owners, you can get collective responses from people that know a lot more about boats and cruising than you and me put together. That is the benefit of an open forum versus a closed, c400 only forum. Also, if you google questions you will see that Sailnet pops up almost immediately in most google searches. For example, I just chose a random search on Catalina 400 Power useage and Sailnet pops up first. Same thing with Batteries. And if it is automated replies you want to alert you of a thread, you can turn that on at Sailnet. It is under your CP settings. It is generally left off at signup as many people do not want it and want to come at their leisure.

So our goal is not to support the 40 members at Yahoo, it is to support all members in the best possible way. I have not tried to bring anyone over to Sailnet - but we need more than 40 people to make the association viable. But 40 is better than zero here, and I understand that. I am simply providing another viewpoint.

On a more persona note for me, I may have difficulty keeping up with a lot of different sites. I have already basically dropped Cruiser Forum (where I was pretty active), SSCA, and some others. I simply did not have the time. I will try to make time for Yahoo if that is what all the other members want. I do not consider my vote to be weighed any more than anyone elses. I am simply giving reasons why I am saying what I am saying.

No matter the forum, I am dealing with kidney stones and will not be real available for anything or anyone for the next couple of weeks. I will try and jump over to the yahoo group though and see what is happening.

Brian

PS I also think a lot of people left the Sailnet forum stuff because they got pissed about how Sailnet closed it down.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook