SailNet Community - View Single Post - cruising lake ontario
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I would also recommend a large scale chart of Lake Ontario to plot bearings and distances, and to buy the Richardson's chart book of the lake, which is convenient for plotting positions when offshore. The charts in it are old and "not for navigational purposes", but they suffice unless you are in the Thousand Islands or the east end of Prince Edward County, in which case you really need the charts for those somewhat tricky waters.

Lastly, I would purchase the Sailing Directions for Lake Ontario...I used this more than any other guide for spotting landmarks, etc.

Why am I mentioning this? Because we have a seven year old son, and getting him a pair of yard-sale binoculars meant that he is now "in charge" of navigation aboard, and gets to use a hand-held compass, takes bearings and marks charts (in light pencil). This gives him a stake in the journey and gets him involved in the process (he's too short to helm!).

If you get your kids involved in the running of the "ship", they will naturally take the first steps to being involved in your sailing lifestyle, and, having a stake, will be less bored underway.

I also recommend a lazy sail to Bluffers'. It's close and safe and the complex of clubs is big enough to run around in pretty safely.