SailNet Community - View Single Post - Columbia 26 MKII and K DIY
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009

davidilewis is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumcrazy View Post
Heads up! If you own or have owned one of these vessels, here's a place to share tips. I want to start with a few questions. Does anyone know where to get parts specific to this boat? I want to install an OEM type holding tank for the head. I also want to figure out a way to install an indoor shower that drains to the bilge (may require an additional pump) Anyone at Sailnet in the know about this stuff? I need to replace the compression post too- what are the dimensions of the post and what is the most suitable wood with which to build it?

I, too own a columbia 26 mkII and plan to do some refurbishing of this boat.

I'm wondering why you are contemplating replacing the compression post.I hope that it is for cosmetic reasons Any major trauma to a boat of this type calls for the following considerations:

I have decided that as I come to a determination of the costs involved, I will very soon reach a cut- off point. If costs exceed $1000, I will not bother with the upgrade/refurbishing projects. Why?

Because I believe that this is one of the most under-rated boats on the used boat market.
I constantly see really nice Columbias for sale for under $3,000 The most recent one that I saw on line was like brand new in appearance, and was obviously well cared for. It was $2995

This boat is exceptionally roomy for a 26 footer, and, in the hands of a serious racer, can easily become the dread of the wednesday night beer-can
crowd. It's high freeboard give it a real salty look, and you will stay really dry nearly all the time.

True story: At our club, my boat was at a mooring. I once forgot to secure my forward hatch. That night in late October, we had a New England blow, with wind gusts upwards of 45 knots.The old hatch broke right off. It was toast. Next morning,fully prepared for, and dreading the task of removing soggy sea-soaked bedding from the vee-births, I was pleasantly surprised to find the bedding dry as a bone.

I sail mine with the outboard motor in the well. The reason for this is because it makes my boat look more elegant - like an inboard, and, because these boats sometimes tend to hobby-horse, the prop never comes out of the water. It is easier to work on the motor. I believe this is worth the 1knot sacrificed in speed. Should I decide to race, which I rarely do, I simply take the motor out of the well and have the launch attendant bring it ashore.
An older 8 hp nissan is very light, and is more than adequate for such a light boat Forgive me for ramblin' on and on. I love columbias
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook