SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another liveaboard family in the making?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009
SailNet Grom

svartsvensk is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply miatapaul! I think I may have to get a small storage unit in DC to house some tools, though the drill press and other very large items will have to be sold.

We're leaning towards the Gangplank which will only be a mile and a half from where she'll be working, an easy metro ride or bike ride away.

The boat I'm hoping to buy is a 1960 Kettenburg 40', built in San Diego (just like me), from White Oak and Cedar. I like Fiberglass boats just fine, but there's something... I dunno, PRIMAL about wood. Tried and true, I guess. I just love wood, but if I can't snag this boat, I'll go for a different one. I've seen comparable boats going for over 30k, and this one's 20k, with a clear survey too. If I can maintain that value (and since it's bridging the gap from "old" to "classic", I think I can), I'll be thrilled!

As to whether the wife is 100% onboard... she's close. REAL close. Probably 95%, and getting closer every day. Once she sees the Ket in person, I think she'll close the gap. Those boats are PRETTY.

-K
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook