SailNet Community - View Single Post - Eye splicing New England T-900
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Knothead,
You are correct that if you follow the directions it is not too bad. There are a couple of things to watchout for: First is remember to put your shackle on before you make the loop with the core. Sort of defeats the purpose of the exercise if you leave that out. Second, be prepared to work HARD to get everything buried in the cover when you are pulling the final step. I did not bury the last bit of cover as there was no way it would fit, so I sewed and whipped the short tail to the outside of the splice as per the instructions. I am not sure if I am going to do the shrink tube or not. If I had it to do again, I would probably pay the $25 to have a rigger do it(took me 2 hours), but now I know what it involves and will at least appreciate it if I pay to have one done. The video reference was much appreciated!! Thanks BTW, all the skin on my hands is sore from pulling on the cover. Oh well, at least I got to play with some boat toys in the middle of the week!
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook