SailNet Community - View Single Post - Nassau 34
Thread: Nassau 34
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
Nassau 34

Irwin32

My apologies regarding the build comment on the Nassau. I had seen one a number of years ago, and while the woodwork was pretty, I was not impressed with the glass work on the bulkheads and stringers.

And as I said in my post, the prices in BUC are not perfect. As you said, with a low volume boat like the Nassau, one sale of a boat can make a big swing in the prices listed in BUC. Just sounded like a big ? as far as the money. No offense intended.

One of the biggest concerns I would have is the teak deck. The potential for major issues down the line is very real. Maintenance is a chore, I know, I was a BN on two large Swans with teak and the twice yearly cleaning and oiling was a major pain, and once treated, they stayed slick as a sheet of ice for about one month. The teak on modern fiberglass yachts was added for asthetic reasons alone. It was an attempt to recapture the look of a woodden boat. The method of attachement was generally to drill, oh say a couple of thousand holes in a perfectly good deck, spread sealant, and screw ''em down. Now over the years, the sealant would dry and shrink/crack under the wood. With the number of holes in the deck, if even only 1% went bad, and I would say that after 20+ years, you are looking at maybe 5%, that would leave you with something like 10 to 50 potential leaks that there is no way to repair. Water, wood under deck, viola! a mess!!!!

I have never heard many shining things about the build quality of the Taiwan boats. Horror stories of equipment failures from good looking knock off parts abound.

Finally, there is the resale value. As there were so few made, there must have been some reason for the lack of sales when new. It is rare when a really great boat only sells a few copies. When it comes to the time that you wish to sell, how will the market respond to a boat that so few have been made. The Sabre 34 was made in the hundreds, and has a known reputation for good quality. I understand your point as to your feel regarding the build quality of the Nassau. For an analogy, even a really nice Edsel sells for much less than a comperable BelAire. They were both built well for their day, and the Edsel even touted some superior features, but there is just no market for them. Nobody wants them.

The Nassau is a VERY pretty boat when kept up. It''s just my concern that to take a boat that is a "Knock-off" of a much more expensive boat (Hans Christian) and sell it for roughly half when new, there is more to it than "Cheap Taiwanese Labor" involved.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook