SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bayfield 25, how seaworthy?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009

Ericb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M View Post
umm actualy Jeff talked about actual draft, ballast ratio, beam and hull shape, sounds a lot like facts to me not opinons. He suggested that a folkboat had better numbers and they of course are a full keel displacment boat so not sure your second comment holds water.

Another poster said, which scares the heck out of me, that a Bayfield 25 did one or two complete rolls in 55 MPH wind !

They can be a fun little boat but they do have their limitations as all boats do.
More or less correct. The less is that my second comment is still true because as I said "as several of his posts can testify to". The fact that he compared two full keel boats and preferred one over the other does not make my second comment wrong.

And in any case the "facts" as you called them - which in this case are just the basic numbers relating to draft, beam and ballast are the facts. What people (not just Jeff_H) do with these numbers are what constitutes the "opinions".

In general arm-chair sailors tend to focus more on the numbers - as that is all they have. Been there - done that. All of these numbers and ratios are mainly a help to the yacht designers. I don't know if mere mortals buying a boat should worry that much about it.

The really interesting thing is that the Bayfield 25 would seem to have more in common with Jeff_H's preferred type of boat than the Folkboat which is in fact closer to what I would prefer.

But that's just MY opinion....