SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bayfield 25, how seaworthy?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericb View Post
More or less correct. The less is that my second comment is still true because as I said "as several of his posts can testify to". The fact that he compared two full keel boats and preferred one over the other does not make my second comment wrong.

And in any case the "facts" as you called them - which in this case are just the basic numbers relating to draft, beam and ballast are the facts. What people (not just Jeff_H) do with these numbers are what constitutes the "opinions".

In general arm-chair sailors tend to focus more on the numbers - as that is all they have. Been there - done that. All of these numbers and ratios are mainly a help to the yacht designers. I don't know if mere mortals buying a boat should worry that much about it.

The really interesting thing is that the Bayfield 25 would seem to have more in common with Jeff_H's preferred type of boat than the Folkboat which is in fact closer to what I would prefer.

But that's just MY opinion....
Where did that come from?

Incidentally, Jeff and I are always dissagreeing on boats but our perspectives are different. That certainly does not make him wrong. But he is NOOOO arm chair sailor. He is a very experienced, very well known racer and quite liked around these woods and elsewhere. And I sure am not an armchair sailor. I have posted the pics to prove it... so has he.

Go over to the Liveabord Family thread. Read about how I basically told the guy that he would be crazy to buy the boat he wa stalking about or doing the LA like he wanted. I have been there and done that. Not 5 posts later, someone else chimed in and HAS done it just the way I said he would be crazy for doing it. The point is that you must take all of this information and make your own decisions. But that certainly did not make either myself or the other sailor uninformed, not knowledgeable, or arm chair sailors. Crap, ask 4 sailors the same question you will get 5 answers.

Now I have nothing to add to this thread about Bayfields. I know little about them. But if I was the poster on this thread, I would not take any exception to any of the comments here - especially from those that have been there and have done that. One only must be cautious here about peoples opinions who are not based in experience. And the later certainly is not Jeff.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook