SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel filter change
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
Sort of, here is my list

Okay, I don't have the same motor as you, but I do have a Yanmar with a primary and Secondary/water separator. Here is what I do.
  1. Engine is off.
  2. Place small bucket or a bunch of absorbent under the secondary filter/water separator
  3. Remove Water/Secondary Fuel filter. Dump fuel in fuel/separator in a waste collection container. Replace filter.
  4. Fill filter with clean diesel until almost to the top. Screw assemble (filter and water separator bowl)
  5. Open bleed screw on top and unscrew pump handle - This is on my Racor assembly, yours maybe different.
  6. Pump handle on filter until no more air comes out of filter. Tighten air blled screw.
  7. Repeat the process with the primary fuel filter, except pump the air out with the Manuel fuel lift pump before the primary filer. Don't for get to bleed air from the top of the primary fuel filter housing and just before the injectors.
  8. Wipe down the motor of any spilt fuel and dispose of the waste fuel/rags/diapers in the proper manner.
  9. Fire motor for 10 to 15 minutes to insure than no air is in the lines