SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question on Polar Diagrams
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
John,

The V70 stuff was actually an article in Sailing World a couple of years back during that race. IIRC it was the Disney boat that they were interviewing etc with the what sails were up for different sea types. Finding polars for different sea types is difficult at best, even for new boats. A lot of times you need to take the polars given, and then "YOU" work with them to figure out how to acheive the results. In that manner, you figure out which sail combo's to use for different conditions. And for that manner, if you really want to point as high as you can go, vs going 3-5 degrees off, and gaining a half knot of speed, so even tho you go further to your destination, you get there faster because of the increase in speed, IE now we are into Velocity made good or some such thing.

I know enough to get me in trouble on this, but not quite enough to get out of it. As they say, I am still learning and trying to figure it all out myself. BUT< I noticed last spring, a couple of times my boat does better with the same SA up with a double reef and my carbon 155 than a full main and 110! As they say, play with sail combo's, what you might think is best, may not be!

Marty