SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wanting to go offshore in 2 yrs - buy right boat now ?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2001

patr is on a distinguished road
Wanting to go offshore in 2 yrs - buy right boat now ?

Yeah okay here is the low-down.

I grew up on the water, in Nova Scotia, sailing since I was a little kid in dinghies etc. I really got into competitive dinghy sailing when I was a kid and then ended up teaching and coaching racers. When I got older I started crewing and racing on keelboats. All this time, my parents always had a boat in the 32'' range, and we went gunkholing around here and there (off of Nova Scotia). 5 days trips were the max though for longer voyages. I have been in seas taller than the mast, 50knots +, etc. etc.

That was all 5+ years ago. In the last 5 years all I have done is continue teaching dinghy sailors at the local club in the evenings and occasionally crewing for wed night races. This spring, I decided to go sailing again and my girlfriend and I bareboated a 42'' in the Carribean for 2 weeks. My folks joined me for 3 days as well (present back to them). I got bit by the bug again.

What I want to do is basically be able to do some coastal cruising where I live now (British Columbia) in and around the Gulf Islands, Vancouver Island, etc. It seems pretty tame out here compared to the Nova Scotia coast, but then again, maybe I only went out on ''tougher'' days. What I want to do long term is not ICW-type cruising but some extended voyaging. Depending on how happy we are with it, I might end up going all the way around. Worst case, I will just head south and do short hops but ideally I would like to do some sort of circumnav.

I am thinking that since I want to be able to do that, I should get a boat now that I would like. I''ve always been into performance sailing and always been into singlehanding, so I want a boat on the performance end of things that I can rig to be somewhat easily handled. But I also would like to use it locally for the first 2-3 years to get back into things, and also to set it up. I imagince taking some friends out now and then, etc. until I leave.

Hope that helps, I know I sound conflicting but I am trying to describe where I am at...

Thanks for all the info

-Pat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook