SailNet Community - View Single Post - ColRegs - Racing vs Not Racing
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009

lat42lon71 is on a distinguished road
ColRegs - Racing vs Not Racing

This weekend I encountered a close miss, which still has me steamed.
Sailing a 30' crusier.
I don't race.
I placing safety first, then I avoid interfering with a race course, racers.

So I'm sailing on a STBD close reach on autopilot 5+kn. 300' ahead to PORT two larger racers tacked from STBD to PORT and were generally heading in my direction PORT side.
The 1st boat reset sails then headed up and crossed in front of me with plenty of room to clear.
The 2nd boat was having trouble resetting sails and was still PORT side. I watched him as we were getting closer, expecting he would head up in front of me as the 1st boat did.
We continued getting closer, now less than 50', and he was still PORT side and appeared to have the sails set for the new tack.
Being so close, I was satisfied that he would continue PORT side, to do differently would risk a collision. but...
He suddenly heads up and turns to PORT directly across my bow. I initially froze, then disengaged the AP, turned to PORT and avoided his stern by<10'
His crew was yelling PORT-PORT, I yelled are you F'n crazy. His reply was "We're Racing".
Now my question - My brief reading of race rules are they are more stringent than and do not contradict the ColRegs, regarding stand-on vs. avoid, and not with-standing this A-hole, what is a racer's attitude toward non-racing boats and what is their general respect for the ColRegs?

BobD
Boston
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook