SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to Get into this... single handed?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009

WhatTheFoley is on a distinguished road
How to Get into this... single handed?

Hello,

I have an interesting problem that I'd love to get some help with. I have a 31' sailboat. I find that I single hand a fair amount, but getting her on the dock with a stiff cross wind is nearly impossible by myself.

Attached is a daigram of what I'm talking about. But the basic picture is that my slip is in a corner where a section of covered moorage joins the main breakwater. The prevailing wind for our area unfortunately blows across the slip.

To further complicate things, there are no cleats on the breakwater just a rail. So it's really not that easy to quickly secure a spring line around the rail.

The trouble that I've run into (even with a crew) is that when the wind picks up 10-15mph the bow gets blown off (as you would expect). I've tried to carry more speed in order to counter act the wind, and move quickly to get a bow spring on, but this causes the boat to get VERY close to the covered section. On one occasion the person with the spring couldn't get it around the rail and the shrouds started to rub the cover above the other slips YIKES!

I could probably install some cleats if I had to (I'm sure the owner of the marina wouldnt be to happy, but the'd probibyl never even notice). That might help with getting a spring on, but what other tips/tricks could I use to get into this slip single handed??

Thanks!