SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to Get into this... single handed?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
WhatTheFoley,

I don't think there's a good technique without using some sort of attachment prior to entering the slip. No matter what you try, I think you'll find the wind will catch the bow and take it toward the covered slip. You could try backing in instead, but some boats don't back as well as others and this could cause more/new problems.

It's been my experience that it's much easier to beg forgiveness vs ask for permission. So, what I'd do is buy a couple of cleats and install them on the dock along the approach to my slip. If you can't thru-bolt the cleats, long lag-screws will probably work. I'd try to get the same style cleats (and use same attachment method) if at all possible so as to camouflage the job. It's very likely nobody will notice...or even care.

Likely, the main reason there aren't already cleats there is to prevent someone from docking directly behind you and blocking you in. And, this is a strong possibility you should consider before installing the cleat(s).

Again, this is what I'd do. I would consider the cleats a form of cheap insurance against costly gelcoat and rigging repairs.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook