SailNet Community - View Single Post - CS27 Specific issue to look for?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

cghubbell is on a distinguished road
Well, I'm back from the visit, and it went very well. The owner appeared to me as trying to be very honest about his boat, and offered to share the text of his recent survey with me. I got the impression he really liked the boat and took care of all the major stuff at the expense of some minor items.

There were a lot of general upkeep and aesthetic issues. Sails are a bit worn, but very useable. Lines are all showing UV damage and will need to be rotated out of service as budget allows. All reasonable things for a 30 year old boat.

The only thing that I didn't feel comfortable with was a through-hull gate valve stuck open. Not cool. There don't appear to be a lot of through hulls on this boat, but I'm thinking I'll want to have it hauled and get that valve replaced with a seacock if I make the purchase. Hopefully that repair won't break the bank as I would love to spend some time sailing her this summer.

Engine looked great and had new mounts, ran as smooth as it can ... Bilge was clean, hull had been stripped and barrier coated about ten years ago, no blistering to speak of. The keel bolts had been replaced at some point and were nice and shiny. Interior woodwork needs some refinishing, but that's the fun I'm looking for. Going to need some re-sealing of the ports as well, but again, that's no biggie.

She appeared pretty sound, so I'm just waiting for the survey for a final review. Much thanks for the feedback on this boat - I think she has the potential to be a great first boat for my family. I just wish that a 6'-3" I could find more boats under 30' I fit into!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook