SailNet Community - View Single Post - Barrier Coat & Antifouling paint
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009

AA3NK is on a distinguished road
This Thread Topic sounded like information I am seeking so I'll start here and see if any folks can direct me to a more current thread that almost surely dates this one.

I have soda blasted, prepped and applied three coats of MAS Epoxy to my Cheoy Lee 36. I am at the point for completing the bottom work, I want to put on two more coats of epoxy for a total of five coats. The plan is to roll the epoxy coats about six hours apart, say 08:00 for the first coat, 14:00 for the second coat and then apply a "tie coat" to the last coat of epoxy to bond the paint with the barrier coat.

I am planning to finish the bottom in Micron CSC but that coat will be the wetted surface, not the intermediate coat that ties in with the epoxy. What kind of paint could/should I use that is somewhat a permanent bottom coat? Since it will not be the actual antifoulant exposed surface, could I use a less dense product like, for example, Fiberglass Bottomkote? Maybe some other type of paint would be better suited? The general purpose is use a color so I'll know when to quit removing bottom paint before getting to the "tie coat."

Please share your thoughts or experience in this matter or perhaps a link to the various threads where this may have already been discussed.

Regards,
Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook