SailNet Community - View Single Post - Leaking intake gasket caused by too much blow-by?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 08-09-2009 Thread Starter
preservedkillick

Leaking intake gasket caused by too much blow-by?

Motoring yesterday, I noticed the smell of exhaust in the engine compartment. Took a look and it appears to be leaking exhaust out of the intake gasket. Bit of black soot near where the leak is.

Now, when starting the motor, there's a distinct "air sound" before it actually fired up. There's a blow-by hose that goes from the cover to the intake manifold (near where I think the leak is), if I take put my finger over the end of the hose with the engine running, within a few seconds I can feel the pressure building up. What's normal?

This sounds bad. Rings? Valves? Any chance there's a valve somewhere, like a PVC valve? I don't see one.

This seems to be a sudden thing, it's been running well, with no sign of trouble before yesterday.

This is a 10 year old diesel Vetus 310 with less than 400 hours reported.

Preserved Killick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by preservedkillick; 08-09-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: added engine model & age
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome