SailNet Community - View Single Post - Leaking intake gasket caused by too much blow-by?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
Leaking intake gasket caused by too much blow-by?

Motoring yesterday, I noticed the smell of exhaust in the engine compartment. Took a look and it appears to be leaking exhaust out of the intake gasket. Bit of black soot near where the leak is.

Now, when starting the motor, there's a distinct "air sound" before it actually fired up. There's a blow-by hose that goes from the cover to the intake manifold (near where I think the leak is), if I take put my finger over the end of the hose with the engine running, within a few seconds I can feel the pressure building up. What's normal?

This sounds bad. Rings? Valves? Any chance there's a valve somewhere, like a PVC valve? I don't see one.

This seems to be a sudden thing, it's been running well, with no sign of trouble before yesterday.

This is a 10 year old diesel Vetus 310 with less than 400 hours reported.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by preservedkillick; 08-09-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: added engine model & age
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook