SailNet Community - View Single Post - Leaking intake gasket caused by too much blow-by?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
I thought of those two things too. Valves..I'll get a mechanic if it comes to that. I'll check the exhaust elbow when I go back this week.

I've done some research, and it appears that some blow by pressure is normal. Based on what I've read in the diesel car forums, lots of pressure along with smoke is a bad thing. But, I wonder, what is considered normal. I'm not getting any smoke that I can see, although I did get a little soot near the leak.

I don't think I'm burning any oil, although I can only say that I've burned none in the 20 hours or so I've put on the engine since I've owned it. Oil looks ok, coolant looks great. Both changed this spring.

Thinking more about it, I don't quite get how the gasket could have failed as a result of the blow by. Granted the leak is at the intake manifold right near where the blow by hose connects, but the intake manifold should have no pressure..the air intake is right there.

My plan so far is to check the exhaust elbow, replace the leaking gasket (if I can get one from Vetus) and keep an eye on it. I'd also like to get a compression test done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook