SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Info on Cruising From New Bern to Charleston
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009

mhfowle is on a distinguished road
Need Info on Cruising From New Bern to Charleston

Hey all,

Just had a few questions about a cruising plan that I am trying to configure.

The Plan: I have 3 weeks of vacation next year and I wanted to sail my boat with one other person around NC then down to Charleston. I wanted to start in New Bern and visit Oriental then to Ocracoke, then Wilmington, then down to Charleston. This is all tentitive though. I plan on leaving Julyish 2010. The boat is on a lake now, but transporting it isn't a problem. Is this a good trip to take? Does anyone have any good info about these areas?

The Boat: I have a 26ft s2 shoal draft sloop. Everything is reliable and in good working condition. I have a basic GPS and VHF. What special equipment do I need for a trip like this. I have addequate safety equipment and ground tackle. I know I need charts and a dingy, but what else?

Skills: I have been sailing for 10 yrs. I've had my boat for 4 yrs. I know it very well and I'm very good at handling it. Mechanically, I can fix anything on a boat, so that's no problem. However, how would I go about learning the necessary navigational skills. I know quite a bit about the rules of the road and navigation, but I want to be absolutely sure that I'm not unprepared!!!

Expenses: I want to do this as economically as possible. I do understand it will cost a bit and I'm prepared for that. Where do I find info on anchorages, towns, grocery stores, marinas, etc.... What are typical costs on this sort of trip?

Any info that you all can give me will be much appriciated!!

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook