SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Set Up
Thread: Anchor Set Up
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

1- I have never used a swivel, but think I should this time for the wind and current shifts I anchor in. Should that be attached to the anchor or to the shackle on the anchor... and then to the chain. What kind of swivels have other used which works best.
No experience with swivels - no comments.

Quote:
2- I was thinking of purchasing a small float and attaching 50 or so feet of lite 3 strand line to it and then to the anchor to use as a trip system should I have trouble getting the anchor up. Playing out only the amount of line when I drop the hook that the water depth the anchor is in plus maybe 8 ft to allow for swells/ wakes. What kind of similar systems do you use.
A trip is often recommended in situations in which fouling the anchor is a possibilities. They will reduce the number of boats that can use an anchorage as they reduce the swing room available. Since 1984 I have never fouled an anchor (knock on wood). I teach people how to use, but do not use one myself.

If you are using a trip line weight the line. This site shows a good setup.

Quote:
3- I am liking the 60 ft chain 250 feet line rode combo I had previously used. It given a lot to lay on the bottom, which not having all the weight of an all chain rode.
That should work. All chain would reduce your swing room, and "short scoping" is more feasible. A windlass becomes necessary with an all-chain system.

You might add a kellet to your system. A heavy downrigger ball will work well.

Quote:
4-snubber. What if any does everyone use when anchoring (not mooring)
I use a snubber only when I am on chain only. It helps minimize noise in the V-berth and adds additional shock absorption. A snubber is not necessary if you have an rope rode out.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook