SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Set Up
Thread: Anchor Set Up
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
A swivel is not for wind changes, it is to keep the chain from twisting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
OK we were anchored in Grey's Inn Creek here on the Chesapeake Saturday night. 10 ft of H2O, no wind, 90 degrees. Wind slowly come up for 1/2 hour to 10 knots. Its 11 PM just ready to pour a second glass of wine get a shower and the chart plotter alarm goes off followed by a thump which I hate top here. I look out the companionway and we are close to shore. Too close. I scramble with the wife, we get topside, turn on the engine and depth finder and alas we are in 3.5 feet of water.....grounded...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

So I go to bow to see why we have dragged, not believing it as we had set a 35 lb Danforth which we use primarily in the Chesapeake and I crank in the 60 ft of line..then start cranking in the 60 feet of chain but it is moving to easily. 30 feet of chain later I am like WILEY T COYOTE with just the end chain in my hand. It has parted and we lost the anchor. we plowed out of the soft mud and ungrounded and wound up coming home at 3 AM as I didn't want to try my luck again setting up the 25 lb spare delta and it was a beautiful full moon sail.

I wanted to improve my anchor system, but was going to wait till next year but alas..we know how that boat story goes sometimes.

My two choices for new anchors were 45 Manson Supreme second and the 44 lb Ronca first. I weigh in at 18000 and am 25 ft. Maybe a little larger than I need, but in this case a few extra lbs for more peace of mind.

My questions:

1- I have never used a swivel, but think I should this time for the wind and current shifts I anchor in. Should that be attached to the anchor or to the shackle on the anchor... and then to the chain. What kind of swivels have other used which works best.
2- I was thinking of purchasing a small float and attaching 50 or so feet of lite 3 strand line to it and then to the anchor to use as a trip system should I have trouble getting the anchor up. Playing out only the amount of line when I drop the hook that the water depth the anchor is in plus maybe 8 ft to allow for swells/ wakes. What kind of similar systems do you use.
3- I am liking the 60 ft chain 250 feet line rode combo I had previously used. It given a lot to lay on the bottom, which not having all the weight of an all chain rode.
4-snubber. What if any does everyone use when anchoring (not mooring)

I don't want this thread to turn into a discussion about anchors as I am decided on the RONCA as long as she fits into my current bow rolled/ bail configuration

Thanks in advance for your comments

Dave
when the anchor spins while hoisting.

Seems unlikely 10 knots broke anything, since the pull would not have been more than a few hundred pounds. Did the shackle unscrew?

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook