SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel Vs. Fin or Modified Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009

Yteam is on a distinguished road
Post Crazy Brit Newbie

Hello all,

Excellent information in this thread.
I have just joined the forum and if my question has been answered in previous threads I apologise.

This may seem a bit mad but I own a Hunter 19. (which is the smallest yacht ever to complete the single handed transatlantic yacht race) I want to cut her fin keel off !!!

It dates to around 1981 and has been well used by my kids and grandkids and shows the use and abuse. Paint and some TLC will fix all that though.

I have recently had open heart surgery and to be honest I think my sailing days are over. I am getting to the point where I neither want to launch her in deep water and moor her in a Marina or at a swing mooring. (which includes mooring fees) I could get a lot of use out of the old dear if I turned her into an outboard driven trailer / weekender / fishing boat and launch her in the shallow put in points on the Scottish lochs.

So , and thanks for your patience, what effect on the stability, safety, leeward motion, stright line tracking, righting capability etc would cutting the keel off have?

I would appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Many thanks
Y-team

Last edited by Yteam; 08-11-2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook