SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who''s living on what??
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005

Johnno is on a distinguished road
Who''''s living on what??

Hi,

This thread is a bit old now but for anyone thinking of liveaboard life there is a lot of very good information in the posts.

My advice for what it is worth after many years of living aboard is to keep things simple. It means being mercenary about what you have and making sure that it is what you need rather than just want.

That philosphy applies equally to the boat as well as the lifestyle. It is not for everyone and in particular the fairer sex - sorry girls!!!

My further advice is to buy your first boat with the knowledge that it will not be your last or more importantly your ideal boat - so buy with an eye to resale - because as sure as god made little apples your wants and expectations will change after you have experienced the life for a while.

In that sense no two cruisers are the same. Thankfully! But at least if you heed the advice of experienced sailors you will not make too many mistakes. Inherent in that is that you will make some mistakes - and we all do - just try to minimise the impact of them.

I am always amused when I hear people say - yes I would thoroughly enjoy crusing too - all I''d need is a nice shower, my tv, my stereo and microwave and I''d be happy.

Well here''s the rub - it just doesn''t work that way. Like I said at the outset it is important to keep it simple and that means reorientating your life. And that''s the bit that some people can''t handle.

You have to try it to find out whether it is for you. So if you are thinking about embarking on a live aboard life don''t cut your options until you know it is for YOU!

cheers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook