SailNet Community - View Single Post - C400 Westerbeke 42B compression failures
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix3 View Post
I am the original ownerof a C400, hull #87. My Westerbeke 42B diesel just failed last weekend while I was on vacation. Compression check showed poor compression in all cyl. (130, 100, 205, & 180). If you have had or are aware of this problem, what did Catalina or Westerbeke do about it. I know that the problem existed with 42B's in hull#'s 1 through 99. I have received quotes of $10,000 - 12,000 to replace the 42B with a Westerbeke 44. Any information on previous repairs and the Westerbeke/Catalina response is appreciated.

Thanks, Everett Rezendes
"Phoenix III"
Hull#87
What is the exhaust size coming off the diesel? It should be 3" as I recall. I understand that there was a back pressure issue with too small of exhaust causing a BP in excess of 10psi. It should be about 2 or so at WOT.
If you have a smnall diameter hose, better look into that first. Won't save your engine, but might save the next. All of this info happened before I was tech editor so I am giving you second hand knowledge from the previous tech editor.

Also, what about repowering with a Yanmar? The new ones (including mine) are all 54 hp. It is more than you need most of the time, but maybe not when in a strong current or blow. I would not trade it down to a Westerbeke of lower HP.

My opinions.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook