SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat is in West FL, need to get it East by truck.
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009
Sailing to surf

Beersmith is on a distinguished road
Boat is in West FL, need to get it East by truck.

My situation is that I have recently purchased a 1975 Downeaster 38 Cutter It is at the sellers dock in Inglis, Fl on the Withlacoochie River near where it empties into the Gulf at Yankeetown. Inglis is in the "Big Bend" area of the west coast of Florida near Crystal River and Homossassa. It isnt the most reliable vessel just yet, so I am hesitant to take it far until I do some work on it.

I currently live in Orlando and have been driving the 2+ hours every weekend to go work on the boat. I would like to transport it close to me, perhaps even in Orlando to work on throughout the winter. It needs a serious bottom job and many other projects that require a haul out and time on the hard. The nearest DIY yard that I know of is Westland Marina in Titusville, so it is between that and someplace in Orlando. I figure if I use some sort of yard in Orlando, I would need to buy my own jack stands and whatnot, something I have to factor in. Can anyone offer an opinion on what to do here? Would it be worth the money to spend and put the boat up here in Orlando or go the safe route and use the DIY marina?

My real question is, how the heck do I get this boat out of the water and on a truck? What is involved in the process of getting a boat transported over land? Does anyone know of a haul out facility near Inglis/Yankeetown that I can get the boat to?

I really need some good advice, I am running out of time at the sellers dock and am getting more frustrated every day I don't have the boat near me to work on.

Thanks!