SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel Vs. Fin or Modified Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
First of all I assume that you mean a British Hunter Medina rather than what the Brits call a Legend and we Yanks call a Hunter.

But in any case, with all due respect, your plan makes no sense at all. Without a keel and a rig the boat would have a miserable motion, and be nearly impossible to move around. The low resistance hulls on sailboats make them extreme rollers once their roll moments of inertia get greatly reduced. Without adding ballast, the boat would be easy to capsize and have no good reason to right herself.

If I were in your position, I would sell the Hunter and use the proceeds plus the money that you would spend to remove the keel and rig and plug the holes,and modify the Hunter's trailer, etc. to buy a small cheap, trailerable power boat. The motion will be more comfortable and it will be far better suited to your goals.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook