SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Preparation
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
CapnRon,

Whether to Bahamian Moor with three anchors or spiderweb to the trees on one side and to anchors on the other is going to be a choice you will have to make. Either way can be successful or can have problems. The spot you have picked looks ideal. As for the water coming up or going down, it will not be so much as a fast running stream, but rather a gradual rise in level...over hours or even a couple of days and likewise it drops the same way. If you anchor, then you are at the mercy of the anchors entirely. At various points of the wind, only one of those anchors will be holding you and if the bottom is really soft, the anchor might drag (but hopefully the others would then take up the slack). With the Bahamian Moor, you allow the boat to swing over a limited range and minimize wind drag on the boat since the boat swings with the wind, but as I understand it, from the point that the three anchors are attached, you have a single chain or rode to the boat. Additionally, if your anchor rodes are chain/nylon rodes, there is a possibility that as the boat swings in a multiple anchor spread, the nylon rodes might get tangled around the keel and result in presenting a broadside to the wind on the anchors...this is probably less a problem with your boat since it is a swing keel, but I have seen this happen on keel boats with bad results. A single anything under hurricane conditions, to me, seems risky. If you tie to the large trees with a wide spread of lines in one direction (and lots of them) with the anchors in the other direction with the three anchors also in a wide spread (and in this configuration I wouldn't limit myself to just three), you might be more secure. And each of these lines or rodes can be independently attached to the boat and to the shore or bottom, so if one fails, the others just take more load. If you do tie to the trees, unless you are up a small cove where you can be sure that no one will pass, you should not tie across the stream on both sides since this will block others trying to go up or down stream. If you did this, someone with a mean streak might cut the lines as retribution for blocking the entire stream and this would really be a mess. With either method, you have gone a long way in improving your chances with the boat since you won't take that pounding of waves over a long fetch.

Last edited by NCC320; 08-12-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook