SailNet Community - View Single Post - Northern chesapeake cruising plans
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
The docks at Betterton beach can be VERY rough. I would not make it more than a brief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekenna View Post
I have sailed day trips in a sunfish to the first four of these destination but now I have a different perspective. I recently bought a 28 foot san juan (4.5 foot draft) currently moored at two rivers marina on bohemia river. I have taken off week of 8/24. I want to take my wife to some of the spots I visited by sunfish. We plan to go down to the boat on friday. Our marina is having a picnic day on saturday so we probably would head out Sunday.

Harve de gras
I know there are the flats north of the channel and a couple of islands about 3/4 of the way from turkey point. I think the islands are used by motorboaters for swimming. The island might make an interesting 1 or 2 hour stop on the way to harve de gras any problems with stopping there for a sailboat? We have an inflatible dingy. Bohemia river to Harve De Gras should be a single day cruise right?

Once we get to Harve de gras what are our options marinas?, anchoring? anything to do ashore?

Northeast
The chart shows mostly 4 feet across most of the area going to Northeast. My wife had wanted to go to this place a couple miles south of Northeast. Is north east out of the question with my draft? As I remember it was a long way up to northeat is it worth going there?

Sasafras
I know there is the georgetown inn all the way in south of the 213 bridge. Besides that is there anything else up the sasafras besides the marinas. are there any anchroages?

Betterton
This has a nice beach. I think there is a dock that extends out into the water but can you stay there overnight? what about the depth? any anchorages?

That about as far south as I have gone via sunfish but I would like to go furhter during this week.

What about the following places still pond, worton creek, fairlee creek, rock hall?

Never been to annapolis by boat. Is this out of the question in a week.

I have chartered out of rock hall and gone south but not stayed in rock hall.

I have 7 days. It will just be my wife and I. I am not interested pulling 50 mile days. Ten to 20 miles is more like what I am shootting for. My motor is not very powerful and will only do 4 knots. I would stay on the hook the whole time but the wife is going to want to a marina every so often. Again I am ok with eating on the boat but she going to want to eat out a few times. Since this is august I need to consider safe places to hide from the enevtible thunderstorm. We were on the hook during 65 mph winds in a not so sheltered spot when we chartered out of rock hall and in 35 mph windws on our mooring 2 weekends ago. Nether of which I would like to repeet.

My first thoughts are go to harve de gras the 1st day beyond that I am open to suggestions.
stop. My kid likes the beach. It is wide-open to the west and a lot of wakes come through. Deep enough for you, I am sure. A westerly thunderstorm would be pretty awful - shallow water and some reflections.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook