SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel Vs. Fin or Modified Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009

Yteam is on a distinguished road
Never claimed to have any sense

Hi Jeff and many thanks for your reply which I appreciate.

I know this doesnt seem sensible at first glance and yes it is a British Hunter, one of the originals which took part in the single handed transatlantic yacht race and later developed into the Europa. Designed I think by Oliver Lee.

Basically the costs for cutting the keel down to a skeg, and modifying the trailer would be minimal as I would do this with family help. I had assumed that I would have to add internal bottom ballast to dampen the movement. The advantages of then having a vessel which I have spent time and money on over the years and I could still use as a powered weekender without mooring costs appeals to me.

The sails are the weak point in any sales pitch I make, I have kinda sailed them to destruction and I have also advertised her but have had no luck selling her on.

In a nutshell the costs to me for doing this modification would be nil and I would be using her on inland waterways and lochs once the draught had been reduced. (No more big waves to contend with)
Also I would not have the expense of buying another boat at my time of life.

Do you think the movement would be so bad? I had heard about a number of yachts being used successfully as powered boats after being demasted by some of your hurricanes.
Thanks again
Y-team
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook