SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor light w/photodiode opinions/options, battery draw
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I have to ask

I have to ask? With an LED drawing very, very little current why would you also want a photo diode? The reason to turn on and off incandescent bulbs with a photo eye is to save relatively large amounts of amp hours.

For example my old anchor light was a 20 watt incandescent bulb and it drew 1.7 amps per hour, or 17 amp hours for a ten hour run. My current LED anchor light draws 1 amp hour for every ten hours of use or 1700% less consumption! An extra couple of hours does make a difference when using an incandescent but not so much with LED.

I now have a Dr. LED Polarstar 40 bulb in an AquaSignal Series 40 all/round anchor light fixture. This is technically a USCG approved combination. It draws roughly .1 amps per hour. That is still only 2.4 amp hours in a 24 hour period.

I still don't see a need for a photo electric eye to turn it on and off unless you have other reasons than I would for using an LED anchor light.

This is the combo:

Close up of Polarstar 40 bulb:

Anchor Light #1:

Photo of different bulbs:

P.S. The bulb is $41.99 (Defender) and the fixture can be found for between $50.00 & $65.00 depending upon the vendor. I paid under $100.00 for this set up and it's BRIGHT!!!!!..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 08-13-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook